top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

Below are answers to the most common ITIN questions.  If your question isn't answered below, then please submit it using the Contact section, and you'll receive a response within a few days.

  • What is an ITIN?
    An Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) is issued by the IRS to an individual who does not qualify for a Social Security number. It's required and only used for filing a US tax return.
  • Who needs an ITIN?
    Anyone who is a non-US citizen and is not eligible for a Social Security number needs an ITIN. The most common reasons include: 1. Filing a tax return and paying taxes 2. Claiming a foreign spouse, children, or dependents on a tax return 3. Opening a US bank account (personal or business) 4. Starting a business or becoming a member of an LLC 5. Owning and investing in real estate in the United States​ 6. Qualifying for a reduced tax withholding rate under a tax treaty 7. Applying to a US employer for a job, or applying for a mortgage or credit card, renting an apartment, etc.
  • What documents are submitted with an ITIN application?
    The ITIN application package includes: 1. A completed form W-7 2. Original identification documents or certified copies issued by a Certified Acceptance Agent 3. A completed US tax return (may not be required for certain applications) 4. Other documentations for exceptions (if applicable)
  • Can I submit copies of my identification documents with my application?
    No, only original documents or certified copies of the documents are accepted by the IRS. The IRS can hold your original documents for up to 90 days, but ITIN Abroad is an IRS Certified Acceptance Agent (CAA) can provide certified copies with the submitted application.
  • When do ITINs expire?
    If your ITIN wasn’t included on a U.S. federal tax return at least once for tax years 2018, 2019, and 2020, your ITIN will expire on December 31, 2021. ITINs with middle digits (the fourth and fifth positions) “70,” “71,” “72,” “73,” “74,” “75,” “76,” “77,” “78,” “79,” “80,” “81,” “82,” “83,” “84,” “85,” “86,” “87,” or “88” have expired. In addition, ITINs with middle digits “90,” “91,” “92,” “94,” “95,” “96,” “97,” “98,” or “99,” IF assigned before 2013, have expired.
  • When can I renew my ITIN?
    Taxpayers whose ITINs are scheduled to expire may renew their ITIN immediately. You don’t have to wait for IRS to send a notice of expiration, if your middle digits have been identified for expiration by IRS. You should allow 7 weeks from the mailing date of the Form W-7, for the IRS to notify you of your ITIN application status (9 to 11 weeks if you submit the application during peak processing periods (January 15 through April 30) or if you’re filing from overseas). Spouses and dependents residing outside of the U.S. cannot renew in advance. They may renew their ITIN only when filing an individual tax return, or someone else files an individual income tax return claiming them for an allowable tax benefit (such as a dependent parent who qualifies the primary taxpayer to claim head of household filing status). In these instances, they must attach a federal income tax return to their W-7 renewal application.
  • Can I get a certified copy of my identity documents at a US embassy?
    Yes, you can get certified copies of your foreign identification at a US embassy. However, you still have to complete the W-7 and gather any other required documents yourself. Most ITIN applications are rejected due to errors on the W-7 form. To avoid risking rejection, consider hiring ITIN Abroad to make sure your application is filed right the first time!
  • How does your refund policy work?
    I guarantee you will receive an ITIN with my service because I stand behind the accuracy of my work. However, I cannot guarantee the accuracy of your tax return or any supporting documentation you provide which I did not prepare. If the IRS rejects your ITIN due to a tax return error or supporting documentation issue, your money will not be refunded. If the application needs to be resent or amended to correct supporting documentation, this can be arranged for an additional fee. ITIN Abroad will work directly with the IRS to resolve any application issues with the IRS so you can get an ITIN!
  • What countries does ITIN Abroad serve?
    I can help clients in the following countries: Albania Andorra Austria Belarus Belgium Bosnia & Herzigovina Bulgaria Croatia Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark Estonia Finland France Germany Gibraltar Greece Hungary Iceland Ireland Italy Kosovo Latvia Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg The Republic of Macedonia Malta Moldova Monaco Montenegro Netherlands Norway Poland Portugal Romania Russian Federation San Marino Serbia Slovakia Slovenia Spain Sweden Switzerland Turkey Ukraine United Kingdom Vatican City
  • Do you serve clients outside Europe?
    Although my business is primarily for Europe, if your country isn't listed in the shipping options, then please write me a note via the contact form. Depending on your location, I may be able to help!
bottom of page